Assessing Division

Total Valuation of Buildings..................................$ 626,755,340

Total Valuation of Land...........................................$ 292,804,345

Public Utilities............................................................$   25,237,800

Total Exemptions Applied Against Valuation....$   10,731,040

The State of New Hampshire requires taxation of all real property on an ad valorum basis in order to pay for local, county and school expenses that have been voted in by the legislative body. In Raymond's case, this is the Annual Town Meeting. The valuation of each parcel of land and of each structure is determined by an assessor hired by the Board of Selectmen. Semi-annual billings are sent to the owners of record based on these valuations. The entire process is overseen by the State Department of Revenue Administration, which ensures that all actions are legal and equitable.

Additionally, the town has contracted for new tax maps, which will provide a valuable tool for the entire assessment process. The software that will provide access to map information will integrate with the software in which the assessment information will be stored. It's hoped that the technology will let the assessor's office provide more detailed, useful information to taxpayers.

2020 Tax Rate

Municipal         $   6.25

County                   1.04

Local School       16.64

State School         2.27

Total Rate.........$ 26.20

Ratio:   80.1% (2019)

Donna Giberson

Community Development/Assessing Assistant

Phone:  603.895.7017



Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m.–4:30 p.m.

Please reload

Quick Links
Please reload

Applications & Forms

2016 Abatement Application to Municipalities Form


Applications Needed for Credits & Exemptions

Please note:  You must supply the following forms IN ADDITION to any other required documentation as noted under the Credits & Exemptions section.


Veteran's Credit
You must provide your DD-214 or Letter of Separation.


Disabled Veteran's Credit
You must provide a letter from the Veteran's Administration confirming your total and permanent disability.


Blind Exemption
You must provide the form issued by the blind services program, bureau of vocational rehabilitation, department of education.


Disabled Exemption
Form PA-29:  Permanent Application for Property Tax Credit/Exemptions


Elderly Exemption
Form PA-29:  Permanent Application for Property Tax Credit/Exemptions


Other Assessing Department Forms


Form PA-38:  Notice of Intent to Excavate

Logging/Timber Cuts

Form PA-7:  Notice of Intent to Cut Wood or Timber


Current Use

Form A-10:  Application for Current Use



Application for Abatement


Lot Consolidation

Lot Consolidation Form



Tax Credits & Exemptions


The Town of Raymond offers the following tax credits and exemptions to its taxpayers:


Veteran's Credit
The Town of Raymond offers a Veteran's Credit in the amount of $500 annually.  This total gets subtracted each year from the property tax of the qualifying veteran's property.  New Hampshire Law also affords the same credit to surviving spouses of those veterans suffering a service-connected death so long as they are a resident of a New Hampshire municipality.  The credit would apply in the municipality where the surviving spouse resides.  The qualifications for the Veteran's Credit are outlined by RSA 72:28.


Disabled Veteran's Credit
The Town of Raymond offers an expanded credit of $2,500 to veterans who are totally and permanently disabled due to their war service.  Veterans who are paraplegics as a result of their service are totally exempt from taxation on their primary residence.


Blind Exemption
The Town of Raymond offers an exemption of $50,000 to residents determined to be legally blind by the blind services program, bureau of vocational rehabilitation, department of education, as required by RSA 72:37.


Disabled Exemption
The Town of Raymond offers an exemption of $100,000 to residents who are classified as permanently disabled under Title II or Title XVI of the federal Social Security Act.  To qualify for this exemption, you must:


  • Provide proof that you have been a resident of New Hampshire for five consecutive years;

  • Provide proof of total and permanent disability;

  • Provide your awards letter from Social Security;

  • Provide documentation indicating that you have an income not exceeding $27,000 for a single person, or $38,000 for married couples;

  • Provide documentation indicating that your assets are not exceeding $70,000 (excluding the residence); and

  • Have been in ownership of the property as of April 1 of the year for which the exemption is being claimed.


For more information, please refer to RSA 72:37-b.


Elderly Exemption
The Town of Raymond offers an exemption to elderly residents in varying amounts.  To qualify for this exemption, you must:


  • Provide proof that you have been a resident of New Hampshire for three or more years;

  • Provide documentation indicating that you have an income not exceeding $31,260.00 for a single person, or $42,385.00 for married couples;

  • Provide documentation that your assets are not exceeding $72,100 (excluding the residence);

  • Have been in ownership of the property as of April 1 of the year for which the exemption is being claimed; and they must have been married for at least five (5) consecutive years

  • Provide proof of age to qualify for the following exemption amounts:

    • Age 65-74 as of April 1:  $100,000

    • Age 75-79 as of April 1:  $110,000

    • Age 80+ as of April 1:     $130,000


For more information, please refer to RSA 72:39-a.

For a qualifications work sheet Click HERE

For an application form Click HERE


Solar, Wind and Woodheating Energy Systems Exemption
The Town of Raymond offers an exemption for solar, wind and woodheating energy systems.  To qualify, you must submit an application for this exemption no later than April 15 preceding the setting of the tax rate. The assessing officials shall send written notice to the taxpayer of their decision by July 1, prior to the date of notice of tax.  Failure of the assessing officials to respond shall constitute a denial of the application.  If approved, then the value of the qualifying improvements becomes exempted from taxation.


Example:  If you are applying for an exemption and/or credit of your 2013 property taxes, which are due no earlier then December 1, 2013, then you have until April 15th, 2013 to file an application.  The assessing officials have until July 1 to send notice of their decision.  Failure of the assessing officials to respond shall constitute a denial of the application.


For more information about the application process, please refer to RSA 72:33, 72:34 and 72:34-a.  For information about solar, refer to RSA 72:61 and72:62.  For information about wind, refer to RSA 72:65 and 72:66.  For information about wood, refer to RSA 72:69 and 72:70.


Frequently Asked Questions


How can I get questions about my assessment answered?
Please make contact with the Assessing Department.  You can either call at (603) 895-7017 or visit the Town Office Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.  Someone will either answer your questions or refer you to the appropriate person.


What periods are covered by each tax bill, and how are the bills calculated?
There are many parts to consider when answering this question.  First is that the Town's fiscal year runs from January 1st to December 31st.  Second is that the budget raised at the annual Town Meeting in March covers the fiscal year that began two months earlier.  Third, the tax rate is set annually by the New Hampshire Department of Revenue Administration in late October/early November, to raise money for the fiscal year that is nearly complete.  Finally, the tax year runs from April 1 to March 31 of the following year.


Each May, you will be issued a bill that represents an estimated half of your total tax bill.  This bill is based upon half of the previous year's tax rate.  For example, a bill issued in May 2014 for a home assessed at $200,000 would be based upon half of the 2013 tax rate (half of $23.64 per thousand, which equals $11.82 per thousand). The calculation would be 200 x $11.82 = $2,364.00.


When the tax rate is established in the fall, the second half bill is issued.  The second half of your bill is calculated with the new rate, minus the first half billed amount.  The difference represents the amount due for the second half bill.  For example, a bill issued in November 2014 would be based upon the updated 2014 tax rate, $24.33.  A home assessed at $200,000 would be charged 200 x 24.33 = $4,866.00.  Then, the amount billed for the first half gets subtracted.  $4,866.00 - $2,364.00 = $2,502.00 due for second half bill.


How does a taxpayer file for an abatement?
First, it is important to note that an abatement application cannot be filed after March 1 of the current year.  If that deadline has passed, you must wait until receiving your second-half tax bill, which is typically mailed during the first week of November of the current year.  To file for an abatement, an Application for Abatement must be submitted to the Assessing Department.  A hearing with the Town's Assessor can also be requested, if desired.  Please bear in mind that the applicant bears the burden of proof to demonstrate that their assessed value is dissimilar to other similar properties within the Town of Raymond.  It is important to note that while the first half tax bill is not subject to appeal, an assessment can be reviewed prior to August 1.


If I disagree with my assessment, do I still have to pay my tax bill?
Yes.  You must pay the bill to avoid interest charges that will accrue after the due date passes.  If you have filed an abatement within the proper time frame and a ruling is in your favor, a refund of the overage paid, plus interest will be issued to you.


When do I need a permit for cutting trees?
In most cases, an Intent to Cut form, must be filed with the Assessing Department before any timber can be cut from any property.  This form must be signed by the property owner and subsequently approved by the Board of Selectmen before cutting can commence.  It must also contain an estimate of the amount of wood being cut.  The property owner will be provided a second form on which the actual amount of wood cut must be reported, which must be filed by April 15.  Once filed, the Board of Selectmen will assess a tax equal to 10% of the value of the cut.  This is because the property owner is responsible for payment of the timber tax, per RSA 79.


It is important to note that the law allows for up to 10,000 board feet of logs, or 20 cords of wood to be harvested free from yield tax per tax year if the logs or wood are for the personal use of the property owner.  Timber harvested in this way can not be sold or given in lieu of payment for the timber cut.

An Intent to Cut is also not required in the event of a land conversion (i.e. land being developed for a house), provided that no more than 10,000 board feet of logs, or 20 cords of wood are cut.

Finally, an Intent to Cut is not required if you are cutting "shade trees" which are classified as trees posing a danger to your home if they were to fall.

If you remain unclear as to the need for an Intent to Cut, please contact the Assessing Department at (603) 895-7017.


What is current use and how does it work?
Current Use (RSA 79-A) can be described as a tax strategy for property owners keeping their qualifying properties as undeveloped, open space.  When a property is assessed as current use, the property is assessed for its present use, not its highest-potential use.  In order to place a property into Current Use, an Application for Current Use (Form A-10) must be completed and submitted to the Assessing Department prior to April 15 of the year which any reduction will first apply.


Once application is made to, and approved by the Board of Selectmen, a lien is placed against the property and remains with the property until such time as it is released by the Town.  Release is made only after a Land Use Change tax equal to 10% of the market value of the property has been assessed and paid.  The tax is assessed only when a change in use of the property takes place, (i.e. when construction or other development begins).  If a property in Current Use is subdivided, each individual parcel becomes subject to the Land Use Change Tax at the time development begins on those parcels.  When any individual parcel falls under minimum acreage requirements (i.e., when one parcel of a subdivision is sold to another owner and the acreage of the remaining lots totals less than the required ten acres), it becomes subject to full valuation and to assessment of the Land Use Change Tax.


How are excavation taxes dealt with?
The acreage of active gravel pits is exempted from property tax and is subject instead to an Excavation Activity tax.  The acreage is assessed at a level comparable to industrial acreage and the annual property tax rate is applied.  Additionally, the amount of material removed in an excavation operation is subject to taxation at the rate of $.02/yard of material.

Each operator is required to file an annual Intent to Excavate (form PA-38) with the Board of Selectmen, along with a check for $100.00 that is forwarded to the State.  The State will then send a second form on which the owner must report the actual amount of material removed, as well as the amount of acreage that may have been reclaimed in the pit.  The report is due to the Board of Selectmen by April 15 following the end of the tax year.